Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Weird Wednesday: Creepy Lady



Creepy Lady Sign

Welcome to the first Weird Wednesday on the Vintage Snips and Clips blog!

What is that? Well, I keep coming across things like weird ads or other weird illustrations and thought I'd try sharing them on a regular basis. (I'm really good at procrastinating though, so we'll see how well that goes.) Since I have also been trying to gather Halloween stuff, I thought the first one I would add was something that is weird, but also kind of scary would do.

Obviously this ad for shoes from the year 1912 was not intended to be weird and creepy at all. I really think the people who created this ad did not realize how utterly creepy this woman would look once the drawing was translated into ink pressed onto newspaper. The style of make-up for that point in time, drawn in ink and then printed on newspaper...didn't translate so well in the instance.
 
Her eyes are dark, surrounded by dark, thick lines, and seem almost hollow. Her eerie smile is somewhat reminiscent of The Joker from Batman (but I think those are really supposed to be dimples). She is rather haunting, in my opinion. And what is up with her one hand? It's like an alien's hand or something.

In case someone wanted to use this for a sign, invitation, or other such purpose, I tried editing the shoes and text out and left it at the original size that I obtained it as.



Public Domain Mark

This image is free of known copyright restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...